If you’re in business, you need a lawyer who understands the complexity of managing relations with employees, customers and vendors all at the same time. You need someone you can trust not only to tell you the law, but what to do in the face of it. Having excelled in both the courtroom and the boardroom, Dirk Beamer is uniquely situated to answer your questions and find your solutions.
Dirk spearheads the firm’s efforts in insurance law, unfair competition, employment claims and contract disputes. In addition to his trial work, he has successfully handled numerous appeals. Recent victories of note include a summary judgment award in favor of an employer facing a sexual harassment lawsuit in Wayne County Circuit Court and an appellate decision reversing a trial judgment against an Indiana manufacturer.
When not in the courtroom, Dirk can be found in meetings and on the phone counseling clients on management strategies, commercial transactions and employment practices. He works to develop and implement sound employment policies, handles terminations and reductions in force and negotiates employment packages and severance arrangements. When necessary, he appears before the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Michigan Department of Civil Rights to defend employers facing discrimination and related claims filed by dissatisfied employees. In 2018, he was asked to provide a training session on workplace harassment to the staff of the Michigan Department of Civil Rights.
Dirk serves as general counsel for several national professional trade associations, including the National Association of Professional Allstate Agents (NAPAA) and the United Farmers Agents Association (UFAA). Through the latter two relationships in particular, Dirk has acquired expertise counseling insurance agents in management, corporate discipline and buying and selling agencies, handling over 100 such transactions.
"Litigation is rarely the preferred method to resolve a business dispute, but sometimes it's the only method available. I enjoy helping clients understand their options and developing strategies to force resolution in the most timely, cost-effective and favorable manner possible."
- University of Michigan Law School, Juris Doctorate, with honors, 1993
- Kenyon College, Bachelor of Arts, Phi Beta Kappa and highest honors, 1990
Admitted to Practice
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Ohio
- Numerous U.S. Federal Courts
State Bar of Michigan Memberships
- Labor and Employment Law Section
- Litigation Section
- Business Law Section
Professional Memberships & Associations
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Foundation
- Michigan State Bar Foundation
- CAL SC Narrows Scope of Independent Contractor Status. The Voice Magazine, Summer 2018.
- Your Employee Handbook Should Fit Like a Glove. Exclusivefocus Magazine, Spring 2017.
- When is Your One-Year “Non-Solicit” Not Really Limited to One Year? Exclusivefocus Magazine, Summer 2016.
- Watch the Clock: Wage and Hour Rules for Small Employers. Exclusivefocus Magazine, Summer 2013.
- One Year and One Mile: Understanding the Non-Compete Provisions of the Allstate R3001 Agreement. Exclusivefocus Magazine, Summer 2012.
- Seller Financing – What Does It Mean? Exclusivefocus Magazine, Spring 2012.
- Assessing the Risk of Paying Your Opponent’s Attorneys’ Fees in Non-Compete Cases. Midwest In-House, January 2004.
- United Farmers Agents Association National Convention 2018
- Michigan Department of Civil Rights Staff Training – Sexual and Other Harassment Awareness 2018
- HFTP Greater Detroit Chapter - Hospitality Headaches in H.R. 2016
- AAIMCo Annual Conference 2015
- National Association for Professional Allstate Agents Regional Forum 2015
- Greater Farmington Area Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Farmington Downtown Development Authority, Former President
- Farmington Board of Tax Review, Former Member
- Hope Lutheran Church, Farmington Hills, Former President
- Huron River Hunting and Fishing Club, Former President
Awards & Other Notables
- dbusiness, Top Lawyers 2010, 2016 - 2019
- Corporate Law
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- Employment Law
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2013-2018
- Business Litigation
- “Top 50” Michigan Business Super Lawyers, 2014
- "Top 100" Michigan Super Lawyers, 2014, 2018
- National Association of Professional Allstate Agents President’s Award
- Greater Farmington Area Chamber of Commerce, Make a Difference Award
- Martindale-Hubbell’s Highest Peer Review Rating (AV Preeminent)